[Arm-netbook] Google Groups Re: EOMA68-A20 usb fel-boot and u-boot upload (no GPL-violating allwinner boot0 or boot1 involved)

mike.valk at gmail.com mike.valk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 13:19:33 BST 2013

2013/6/3 Oliver Schinagl <oliver+list at schinagl.nl>:
> On 03-06-13 13:40, Alejandro Mery wrote:
>>
>> On 03/06/13 13:31, Roman Mamedov wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, 3 Jun 2013 12:17:55 +0100

>>> I agree it would awesome if linux-sunxi@ (and also cubieboard@ while
>>> we're at
>>> it) were migrated away from Google Groups, because telling people to
>>> go post
>>> message in a Google group is basically like telling them to go sign up
>>> for a
>>> Google account* -- which is something I would like to avoid suggesting to
>>> people.
>>

>> you can subscribe sending an empty mail to
>> <linux-sunxi+subscribe at googlegroups.com> without
>> needing your mail address registered as a G account. (same applies for
>> cubieboard@)
>
> you can subscribe to google groups without gmane too:
>
> linux-sunxi+subscribe at googlegroups.com
>
> Luke, while I fully stand behind you on your principles, and support and
> agree with you, I'm a little worried that this goes slightly to far?
>
> It is a public mailing list, so what google does with the content, doesn't
> matter. It can do the same as any mailing list.
>
> Other then that, it just sending/receiving mail from google. I don't believe
> you refuse to exchange e-mails with people using gmail or people using
> Exchange as a server. What if mails get routed via those services?

I have agree. Yes, vendor lock in is bad. But with a maillist hosted
by google that's hardly the case.

And if some "nonfree" corporation is lending there infrastructure to
us to create something "free". That's nice for a change for something
that's usually it's the other way around.

But let's not get "an eye for and eye" on this.

> While I agree that we should have started the list elsewhere initially,
> nobody wanted us! I think the plan is to host our own ML in the future, but
> we're not there yet.

Luke is offering now! please poll the rest of the linux-sunxi members
if they're up for the move.

I'm just a spectator hardly the one the liaison. But will if needed

I remember Luke was startled by the move to a separate maillist. It
even got me off guard. It was kinda out of the blue and the
annoucement was quite in the face.

Though I agree to seperate the discussions "EOMA standard and
initiatives" and "all A10 devices to mainline Linux" separate.

But let's not give each other a hard time. Let's collaborate.