[Arm-netbook] vivaldi-engineering ML? (Was: Need help finding components in China)

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Wed Jul 3 09:40:41 BST 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-02 at 23:55 +0200, David Lanzendörfer wrote:
> Hi
>
> > Where is this list located? I can't find any pointers to it after 7 min
> > of googleing and checking the vivaldi website and kde list server.
> Oh. It was just a hint to luke.
> It's a private mailinglist for the core developers of the project.
> It's closed because, although the final device is intended to be shipped
> together with the schematics, we don't want the whole design to be known
> before we get to production.
> Otherwise someone else could just produce it

Isn't that the whole idea?

>  before we do

and contribute something back if its all gpl'd?

>  and so we will have
> invested a lot of effort and unpayed spare time basically into something which
> brings yield to someone else and we run out empty handed.

Creeping proprietary.

Personally I think best to share. Creeping proprietary
at the heart of decent projects is danger.

Since finding this list and the related IRC channels,
and I started sharing SoM board, all I've had is too much help
in getting the project finished by like minded people and
groups all over the world. I am fortunate enough to fund it
as best I can, and not demand anything back from anyone.
If Vivaldi was open, I can see myself funding aspects of
it and demand nothing back.