[Arm-netbook] Need help finding components in China

Hrvoje Lasic lasich at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 06:08:59 BST 2013

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM, David Lanzendörfer <
david.lanzendoerfer at o2s.ch> wrote:

> Hi
>
> >Yolanda Ke
> >International Sales Executive
> >*NOVA TECHNOLOGY(HK)CO.,LTD*
> >address: B1801,18F, Shenfang Mansion, Huaqiangbei Road, Futian District,
> Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
> >Tel: 86-755-61305830
> >*web:* www.hknovatech.net[1]
> >*e-mail:* well/@hknovatech.com.cn/[2]
> >/*MSN: *novatech01 at hotmail.com[3] /
> >*Skype:* novatech001
> Is it ok if I add this person in Skype and ask for assistance at finding
> the
> right parts?

yes, but first look for parts on Mouser, Farnell, other designs that are
available (other ppl doing similar design could have same problem like
you). Find best possible part (usually you look for best price that could
bring you function) and then ask in China. Dont put too much stress on them
as they will not reply. I guess you make list and then ask for quote for
complete list. Then look for parts that in some way are not to your
expectation (price, lead time, availability).

> >But they are not fully reliable.
> >You have to look for each and every component carefully.
> >Actually, treat them as non reliable.
> Of course. I won't create a design without having carefully read the
> datasheet
> and reference implementation of the parts of course.

Not only that. sometimes they change you part and give you price for some
"equivalent" part without notification. Sometimes your best part may be
obsolete. Sometimes could be part that is not new. Generally be suspicious
and curious.

> >For resistors and capacitors you can buy any manufacturer that meets your
> >specification. It is best you leave choice to your supplier as this parts
> are
> >generally very cheap and no point to insist on specific manufacturer.
> That's obvious. But thanks for the advice :-)
>
> >If you look specific part, for example from Murata, the best is that you
> go on
> >Murata webpage and look who is distributor in this area and ask price from
> >this supplier.
> Ok.
>
> >If you look for connector you can search on Alibaba. You may post your
> >requirements to me as many of connecters you use are more or less the same
> >for many project (like micro USB, or Ethernet or whatever) and I found
> some
> >of suppliers that looks ok to me. I can give you contact and price I got
> and
> >you may check yourself.
> The connectors are the last step. First I need PMUs, Keyboardcontroller
> and so on. This is something which really pulls up the price if you choose
> the wrong pieces.

yes, just follow your nous but remember to make product you have to solve
every details to the last screw. And sometimes I have problem finding screw
even it is most simple thing in the world.

> >Generally it is not one stop problem and you will have to make some
> research.
> Research is always needed. You can't make something creatively new, when
> you use all the default components in the very same configuration as
> everyone
> else has already done ;-)

Actually, sometimes is good practice not to be inventive:). For example if
you build power supply, look what other ppl did in open hardware designs,
use same or similar chip or solution. It can save you some time...

<lasich at gmail.com>