[Arm-netbook] Windows 3G tablets

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 09:28:58 GMT 2013

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 3:21 AM, Adam Gill <madallig at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I know this is an arm-netbook list but ...........
>
> Has anyone tried to install Linux on a Windows 7-10 inch tablet with 3G
> function and got the call function to work within Linux ... if not I'm
> thinking of doing this ... I know not everyone like Intel Atom option,
> but it seems you get more reliable bells and whistles and higher
> RAM/CPU/HDD space etc etc than with Android ...

 actually you stand quite a high chance of everything just...
"working".  intel atom systems are just like bog-standard PCs, even if
it's a smaller form-factor with a built-in screen, so what?  so there
won't be anything particularly proprietary: there's no built-in
base-band DSP on the intel atom so they have to 3G / phone as a
separate external modem; that will most likely be done as a Mini PCIe
3G.

 the screen will be standard intel graphics, so you can use the xorg
VESA driver initially and work out how to use the accelerated xorg
later, or maybe it will even just auto-detect.

 the touch screen might be an issue: it's going to depend entirely on
what chipset is used, there, but if it's a common one like the
FutureTech (FT5306 or something), linux drivers are already available
for that so you'd be ok

 so you'd need to check in advance: a) what chipset is used for the
touchscreen b) what the internal 3G modem is

 it'd kinda be fun.  i'm really looking forward to the 22nm atoms
because they'll only be 1W or so.