[Arm-netbook] IMX6Q quad cores CPU price $20 now?

Hrvoje Lasic lasich at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 15:10:36 GMT 2013

I.MX6Q is quad core. A10 is single core. So, I.MX6Q is in fact comparable
to A31 as I understand it. A10 is single core with video acceleration. So,
by core you compare I.MX6 solo light (SL) to A10. But A10 has SATA
controller, dones not have ethernet, SL has no Sata control and etc...
Generally I think it is your application that you really have to compare.
A10 has lack of documentation but ones you got it working, it is working.
So for massive Chinese producers A10 is still cheaper and IC of choice.

We have the same issue. We are working on some zigbee applications and
decide to go ARM for customer interface and gateway (link between www and
our zigbee networks). It is really tempting to use A10 or A13 but we are
afraid a little bit and also this is our first application with ARM
processors so really dont have experience. Since our application does not
really need 3d graphics we went with freescale I.MX233 and I.mx28 which has
pretty much everything we really need (and simplet to desgin). it is 5.5
usd on 100 pcs. Alternative are some Chinese chips like Ingenic which are
good (and cheap) but also lack of documentation.

Ones you solve design A10 is good choice as price tag around 7 usd with
power supply is I think still better then any competition.

Freescale is not bad but will have to go down with price eventually. Same
with TI. TI AM3352 (advertised 5$ for 500k, in reality 10+usd) which we
were looking you cant even buy in China from stock.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 3:22 PM, jm <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> IMX6Q quad cores CPU price $20 now?
>
> Farnell are selling 300+ prices at 20 UK pounds
> which usually means they got it cheaper than $20
> and selling it with mark up + taxes.
>
> http://uk.farnell.com/freescale-semiconductor/mcimx6q5eym10ac/mpu-i-mx6-quad-1ghz-624fcbga/dp/2253171
>
> This does change a lot of things I imagine.
> Principally because its potentially putting a quad core
> on your lap for about $10 more than allwinner.
>
> Freescale who make IMX6Q are selling developer board
> Saberlite at 128.06 UK pounds through Farnell.
> I bought one for evaluation and got it today.
>
> Like the GK802, the device boots from a micro SD card
> instead of soldered flash - that must save a lot
> of costs, as well as making it easy to change out the OS.
> Supposedly Linaro runs on saberlite, but I haven't found an image
> for it yet.
> And freescale have lots of documentation on the chip
> which is supposed to be a lot better than wits and allwinner A10.
>
> IMX6Q has 600+ pins and that means a lot more features I imagine.
>
> With $20 price tag, I think definitely a system on module
> board is on the cards, but I am not sure now which chip to
> give priority - IMX6Q or A10?
>
> If that price point triggers AllWinner and Witstech to widen
> their support of general Linux (instead of confining themselves
> to minimalist Linux on which Android runs on), then AllWinner
> might still be in the race.

Hrvoje Lasić
Tehnicka Radionica Zagreb d.o.o.
Brajkovićev prilaz 3