[Arm-netbook] Interesting chip the LPC1343

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 05:35:35 GMT 2013

Hello,

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 09:06:18 +0000
joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I ordered this FPGA dev system:
>
> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1575992013/logi-fpga-development-board-for-raspberry-pi-beagl
>
> [Already over subscribed by x5 and still 24 days to go :)  ]
>
> I found it has a $2 LPC1343 ARM cortex chip which has within it which
> has USB MSD or MSC (Media Storage Device/Class) driver built
> into the ROM of the chip! Just connect the USB and it will
> open as an attached mass storage device, and then drag and drop
> files into it to program it!
>
> I can't find any more such chips from NXP.
> (The ones that are available with USB require software to be developed
> and programmed into the device that turns it into an MSD - which is
> great if you got the time.)

Well, STM32s with USB have builtin bootloader with DFU protocol support.
No drag and drop for apple hipsters, everyone else just fires dfutool.

> The IDE is by Code-Red which is Eclipse and it is available for Linux.
> NXP have bought them out recently and now 256k of code generated by it
> doesn't require a license.

Good find for apple hipsters. Everyone else uses gcc anyway - for all
chips and architectures.

NXP has very arrogant sampling policy - http://www.nxp.com/policy
"THIS SERVICE IS ONLY OPEN TO CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE DIRECT PURCHASING
AGREEMENTS WITH NXP." So, unless you're a big customer, you can't get
sample of new stuff either. They think they're fscking broadcom or
allwinner. But unlike those, they don't have competitive mass-market
products, so nobody kneels and begs, people just don't buy their stuff.
So, they can't ramp up their production, that's why
http://uk.farnell.com/nxp/lpc812m101jdh16/mcu-32bit-cortex-m0-30mhz-16tssop/dp/2320694
is "Awaiting Delivery" for an fscking year, and that DIP8 ARM chip is
just unreachable. Because seriously, who needs ARM in DIP8? Only
hobbyists, and NXP shits on hobbyists.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com