[Arm-netbook] A bare image for booting from NAND

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 12:34:05 GMT 2013

Hi all,

so this is the first outcome of my quest for booting from the nand, and i
tought it would be nice (and useful for others) to share:
http://makeplaylive.com/~notmart/Improv/eoma68-A20-nand-bare.raw.bz2

This is a dd of the nand in the following situation:

* it has two partitions: "boot" 16 megabytes long and "root" that is
everything else

* "root" only contains /lib/modules, all the rest is empty (nicely zero-ed, so
it compresses nicely)

* Boot0 and Boot1 come from https://github.com/hno/allwinner-boot , revision
d29c34b , modified to *not* search for a "boot" partition starting with
"ANDROID!" magic. An open issue here is that version will need to be GPL'd
(latest and gpl revision won't work, i suspect is for a different kind of
hardware)

* U-boot comes from https://github.com/linux-sunxi/u-boot-sunxi/tree/lichee-dev-a20 , default boot arguments modified in sun7i.h

* the kernel uImage and modules, as well as script.bin come from my Mer OBS
repository:
https://build.merproject.org/project/show?project=home%3Anotmart%3Anemo%3Adevel%3Ahw%3Aeoma68-a20

this image can just be dd-ed on /dev/nand then the kernel will boot.

It won't do much else because there isn't any root filesystem, but that's
kinda the point, this image can be used as a start for any distributin image

Cheers,
Marco Martin