[Arm-netbook] Flashing the NAND

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Dec 6 11:57:02 GMT 2013

On Thursday, December 5, 2013 23:04:45 luke.leighton wrote:
> hi marco, welcome to the list, and thanks for agreeing to post these
> questions publicly so that others can help answer them, and more can
> benefit from everyone's replies.

what surprises me is that all this apparent work has been done and yet:

* none of it is properly documented, resulting in “scavenger hunts” for anyone
wanting to do most anything

* many of the default configurations of base pieces like the kernel are
absolutely braindamaged -> include the nand drivers in the kernel tree but
don’t build them by default? wherf?

* there are numerous gotchas (like that opengl demo program that you have to
run first to get opengles started on the A20.. wtf?) that are quietly hidden
away. they are on no roadmap, have no prioritization and nobody seems to work
on them. (those three things are interrelated.)

 i’m sure someone is running to send an email containing the words “volunteer
effort”, “community” and what-not at this point. ;)

well, fact is that community based development does not need to be chaotic. if
we wish to turn these efforts in something commercially viable as well as have
a more thriving community, then we need to enable people more effectively.

this involves not only people/ projects on this mailing list, but the sunxi
community and likely a few others as well.

do people on this list ever hold irc meetings?
if so, when/where?
if not, would people be open to having one with the goal of improving this
situation?

--
Aaron J. Seigo