[Arm-netbook] [eoma68] mini desktop pc

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Wed Dec 4 14:42:27 GMT 2013

On Wed, 2013-12-04 at 12:22 +0000, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:

> >>  not going to happen.  sorry. designs need to take that into account.
> >> apart from anything there will be boards in the future that don't
> >> *have* a 3.3V line (for whatever reason).
> >
> > Not a request.
> > The 3.3V line is the pull up line for GPIO lines.
> > Something to get right in next revision.
>
>  joe: it's still not going to happen.  there are not enough pins.  I/O
> board designs will need to generate the correct 3.3v compatible TTL
> levels by having the correct regulators on the I/O board.  as 3.3v TTL
> levels are the same everywhere this is perfectly feasible.

Hmm... some misunderstanding going on here.
The "pull up line for GPIO" != any old power supply
line of same voltage.

It depends on circuit design.
If it were a TTL board, or something like a PIC running on 5V,
then the 5V line will have become the GPIO pull up line.
It just so happens that for the GPIO in the EOMA,
the pull up line for GPIO is specifically
the 3.3V line powering the GPIO.

(For ARM chips, the GPIO lines can usually be