[Arm-netbook] [EOMA68] RS232 on SoCs

Ryan Mullen rmmullen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 15:23:10 BST 2013

Hi Luke,

Sorry, just to clear up my confusion - at what point does RS232 come
into play here? I was under the impression that the UART lines on the
EOMA connector were TTL, and so a USB<->serial adapter that can handle
0-5V signals was what was needed (and is what I am using). RS232
signalling is definitely outside this voltage range and shouldn't be
used to connect to the EOMA interface, correct?

I'm not sure I understand why connecting, say, 5V to the UART RX line
with the A20 powered off would cause any problems (unless there is an
excessive current situation). I typically work with lower end micros
and I've never worried about it before...

Ryan