[Arm-netbook] EOMA68-A20 to 1997 IBM WorkPad/Palm Pilot Hack

Christopher Thomas christopher at firemothindustries.com
Sun Aug 25 09:15:15 BST 2013

So, after 4 days of mucking around with 4 different cables, I FINALLY have
some output, but I had to go through unconventional means just to get a
working Serial Console..

Bought an FTDI cable and spent the better part of a week troubleshooting
it, bought a replacement "3v TTL" Nokia DKU-5, only to find out, it was a
Legit DKU-5, not the Knock-off I was hoping for, then had 2 standard 5v
RS232 Adapters, but neither one was suitable, especially considering one
spiked and kill my MAX3232 circuit, so in order to get SOMETHING working, I
hacked my Palm Pilot, it has a Sipex SP385ACA RS232 Line Driver/Receiver ,
but operates natively at 3.3V TTL. So by tapping into the 3.3V Line Out
pins on the SP385A, I was able to display the serial output, allowing me to
finally setup FEL-BOOT.  Will compile and install Debian w/ the SATA and
Ethernet modules tomorrow and see if we can't get something working!

Pardon the mess:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnuj_cJ1lSo

--
Christopher Thomas