[Arm-netbook] It arrived in the post just now!

Ryan Mullen rmmullen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 04:15:15 BST 2013

Hello, I got a new camera so I thought I would share an image of my
EOMA68-A20 and some observations:

http://i.imgur.com/5g4MQVj.jpg

1. I have very poor solder coverage on the board-edge-side tabs on the
micro HDMI connector. This may lead to the connector snapping off. Also,
does the connector protrude from the board edge about 1mm more than it
should? The solder tabs are hanging off the edge and it does seem to extend
outwards a bit more than the other two connectors.

2. There are four tiny blobs of solder at the corners of the RAM ICs that
don't seem to have a purpose. Was this due to holes in the solder paste
stencil that doesn't need to exist, or do these actually have a purpose?

3. A few of the pins on the PCMCIA connector were bent before getting
soldered. I haven't tested for shorts yet - some were shorted but I didn't
check to see if it was due to adjacent GND pins, for example.

4. On the underside (picture not provided, sorry) there are two plated
thru-holes under the micro USB connector, and only one of them seems to be
filled with solder. There are a few other plated thru-holes - two under the
uSD connector and one under the AXP209 IC - that have no solder at all. The
two under the uSD card look like they're just locating holes, so they
shouldn't need to be plated. The one under the AXP looks like it might be
thermal, and if it is, it's probably not an issue (but I'm not well-read on
PCB design for thermal considerations).

That's all for now! I haven't yet reviewed the schematic and PCB - I can't
seem to find an up-to-date version of the kicad project in eoma.git. Any
pointers?

Ryan