[Arm-netbook] EOMA-68 Carrier Board Concept

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Fri Aug 16 14:53:34 BST 2013

On 08/15/2013 01:09 PM, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> tor 2013-08-15 klockan 04:51 -0500 skrev Christopher Thomas:
> Looking great, but would add an internal power connector. Using for
> example the same kind of connector used for floppy drive.
>
> Shrouded header, 4-pin, AMP 171825-4 or similar.
>
> pin 1: +4V
> pin 2,3: GNF
> pin 4: +12V (unused)
>
> just pinholes on the PCB is sufficient. No need to mount the connector
> at factory. A suitable pin header is easily obtained trivial to solder
> by hand when needed.

+1

The reason is so that full 3.5" drives can be used when putting this in
a larger case.

I'm not suggesting that carrier board has to take 12V or even route 12V.
Just give me an internal header so that I can rig up my own supply and
cable harness. I'll run the needed 5V to the board and a proper SATA
power cable to the 3.5" drive.

In most cases I would be able to jerry-rig any supply that might already
be in a Mini ITX case.

Again, this is all an extension of the principal of 'don't make me run
awkward cables'. Especially if I have exit the case!

The raspberry Pi is a ultimate violator of this principle since any
attempt to enclose it ends up with cable messes like this.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/664/378/328c7b3e5e2398b500a9b51ddacf01cc_large.jpg
from
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kwang/mini-itx-motherboard-for-the-raspberry-pi-fairywre

--