[Arm-netbook] EOMA-68 Carrier Board Concept

Christopher Thomas christopher at firemothindustries.com
Thu Aug 15 10:51:24 BST 2013

Good Morning everyone,

   I spoke to a few of you recently and explained a little of what I had in
the works for our project.  Spent a few hours and managed to get this
knocked out, as well as conversed with manufacturers here in the US. After
doing preliminary BoMs and PCBA Quotes, it looks like I can get a pretty
good deal on a fully assembled board, still hashing out some details, but I
wanted to get this out there and hear some feedback.

It's 17cm L by 8.9cm W. With the first two holes spaced at ATX dimentions
to allow users to mount inside pre-existing cases, and or their own.

The Images contain most of the partnumbers. The only variations would be
the PCMCIA Connector. Same style, but SMD, I didn't feel like modelling the
actual component, and the MagJack would be GigE Compatible and about the
same price as the Sullins Jack in the Rev 01 MEB.

So, Ejectable PCMCIA, 4 Port USB Hub IC, with 2 available external ports,
two ports are being utilized for the ATMEGA32U4, and USB Audio IC. The
Audio IC is the CP2114, and is comparable to the CX20672, but .40c more
expensive. However, it does not require any special partnerships or NDAs.
It also supports Line out, Mic In, and Line In, although only doing Line
out and Mic In, there is room for a 3rd 3.5mm audio jack, but it's not
really necessary imo.

The 44 Pin Header is the same pinout currently being utilized, however,
there MIGHT be room for the VGA DAC IC, and a VGA connector if the USB and
3.5mm audio jacks are stacked. If VGA IS added, it'll increase the BoM
$7.12, or you can make a dedicated VGA "dongle" for $12. .  The 26 Pin
header is for the ATMEGA32U4 and is essentially a Teensy 2.0 built in. It
helps to make up for the lack of GPIO of the EOMA68, and is fully Arduino
Compatible, and can be programmed from the factory with the bootloader if
need be. .

Also, I forgot to include the EEPROM on the mockup, but I did not forget it
in the BoM, or schematics. I would have liked to make this a 2 Layer board,
but I just don't think it's feasible, all you EE's out there, feel free to
chime in.

Anyway, going to bed now, I'm not 18 years old anymore and my kids are
brutal in the morning, again, open to opinions. Oh, and depending on how
long it takes to get the PCB designed, I could have these made and out the
factory doors by the Mid/End of September.

http://firemothindustries.com/images/eoma68carrierboard1.png
http://firemothindustries.com/images/eoma68carrierboard.png
http://firemothindustries.com/images/eoma68carrierboard2.png<http://firemothindustries.com/images/eoma68carrierboard.png>

Christopher Thomas