[Arm-netbook] EOMA Micro Engineering Board case built

Christopher Thomas christopher at firemothindustries.com
Mon Aug 12 20:07:53 BST 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 3:34 AM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk>wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-08-12 at 00:43 +0100, luke.leighton wrote:
> > awesome joe - i've linked it here:
> > http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/micro_engineering_board/
> >
> > btw remember you'll need to do some mods to the MEB to make it useable.
>
> No problem - do you have a pdf of circuit diagram?
> I'm looking at R1 and it appears a (yellow) C is fitted (see the photos
> http://www.gplsquared.com/eoma_boot/eoma_boot.html )
> [I can peer review the circuit if you would like me to.]
>
> Notes to Chris:
> 1. C1 is over rated - use smaller voltage for smaller cap to reduce
> board height - get it below the ethernet socket height to build array.
> 2. Leave more space around hole near DC socket to allow for spacer to be
> fitted. I want to build a parallel array.
> 3. Hey Chris mi old harty, how many orders do you need to start next
> batch? (I can buy max 4 more to build my EOMA supercomputer array.)

I have a long-winded reply coming for when I hit 10 orders. I need 4 (yours
will do).

As for the next batch, there are two "teams" I know of (I am one) currently
making revisions to the MEB schematic, we're working on collaborating to
prevent duplicating efforts, so you might want to wait until then.

That said, regarding the components, I didn't design the first MEB,  so I
did not think to review all of the components.  Regarding height and sizes.
We were working on converting things over to SMD to aid in automated
assembly, and to reduce overall size. To still allow users to solder by
hand, we were considering using 1206 size components as you don't need a
microscope/magnification to solder them and they're rather plentiful and
easy to handle.

After we get the changes made, would you mind running over the schematic
and see if you can find any hang-ups?  We could definitely use some
peer-review considering our PCB designer left (I've been interviewing
candidates all last week.)

> > we're almost certainly going to do a 2nd version, what i'll do is get
> > my EOMA68-A20 taken along to a PCB SMT company, get the SATA caps
> > swapped over, keep going on the ethernet issue, track that down...
> >
> > oh!  i know.  joe - do you want to make up an RGB/TTL-to-VGA circuit?
> > a GPL'd one, very very simple, that connects to the 44-pin header?
> > use the circuit from the A13 board that was discussed last week.  i
> > need to test that RGB/TTL is working, that's the last major
> > functionality.
>

> No VGA pins on 44 pin header?
>
> I may be missing something and have lost threads - please resend
>  "the circuit from the A13 board that was discussed last week"
> and I'll check what can be done.

Christopher Thomas
Firemoth Industries, LLC - Owner
christopher at firemothindustries.com