[Arm-netbook] evaluating rk3188

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dave at treblig.org
Sat Aug 3 11:55:30 BST 2013

* Stefan Monnier (monnier at iro.umontreal.ca) wrote:
> >> a1) It's broken enough that people tell you never to dd into a partition,
>
> Sadly, I didn't hear those people.
>
> > it's possible. all you need is 'don't use MEMERASE ioctl, use bs=16384'.
>
> I did a plain `dd' and now it doesn't boot any more.  It appears to get
> into bootloader mode now.
>
> > bootloader mode, bootloader(currently made by rockchip only) is loaded from
> > flash or USB, it should be possible to read/write RAM, NAND and
> > IDB(bootloader) via USB.
> > rkflashtool can read/write NAND and can read RAM/IDB for now.
>
> After my use of `dd' my mk808b boots into a mode where `rkflashtool'
> accepts to read and write.  Only problem is that the write doesn't seem
> to work: after "erase" I read all 0xff values, as expected, but after
> any "write", I only "read" \x00 values.
>
> > there are a lot of rkflashtool forks, but this one should be better,
> >  https://github.com/crewrktablets/rkflashtools
>
> That's the one I'm using.
>
> Any idea what might be going on, and how I might install a working
> firmware again (at this point, any firmware would do, tho what I'd like
> is to install Debian on it).

Yep, you're at the same point mine is; I've tried without success to
run the rkbatchtool under Wine and reactos - the USB stack of both is
hopelessly broken.
I tried for a while to reverse eng it from what it was trying to do
but gave up; not having a working one to compare with makes it hard.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /