[Arm-netbook] Gmail, top posting, was: EOMA-68 hand-held games console in development

Ottavio Caruso ottavio2006-usenet2012 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 30 12:13:37 BST 2013

On Apr 30, 2013 11:51 AM, "R.CG" <me at rcg.re> wrote:

Replying from my SGP 4.2 with the "Respond inline".
There's a block of text between tags:

******* begin text ******
ottavio2006-usenet2012 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > At the end of the day this is your home and if you don't want any such
> > messages I respect that. However before we call all top posters stupid
> > or lazy, I beg to express my opinion, which is as follows.
>
> Maybe I missed something, but I don't think anybody called top posters
stupid. "Lazy" is a gray area - I'm the laziest man alive, but I will spend
the additional 2 minutes of formatting on my phone to avoid disrespecting
the list and causing everybody unnecessary inconvenience. Guess I wouldn't
call top-posters lazy. I'll assume they're uninformed, state the arguments
for bottom-posting, and if they continue top-posting, I would say they're
disrespectful :-)

> > I used to be a "taliban" of "no top posting" and other old school Unix
> > orthodoxy. Then I bought a 4.2'' mobile, and suddenly the world looks
> > different. I expect the participants to this list to agree with me
> > that by today's standards a Smartphone is pretty much _the_ computer.
>
> No, it is onfe of the possible devices - I use it very often in read only
mode and for the occasional reply. But you're just punishing yourself if
you use it for more than 15 minutes of text editing. I know I'm currently
itching to type this on a decent input device :-)

> > When you view and organize your email on a mobile the text is wrapped
> > in a completely different way from the PC would do. Top or bottom
> > posting don't make much sense.
>
> I work around the horrible wrapping I'm currently experiencing by
rotating the phone sideways, so it can fit 80 characters in a line. Either
way, I don't see how wrapping is related to top/bottom posting.

> And for me top posting is even more painful on the mobile - I have to
scroll around more on this damn screen to figure out what Ken is replying
to.

> > I am able to use bottom posting natively here on my PC but I wouldn't
> > be able to do that on the Gmail app on my Samsung. By default it
> > doesn't even append the original text.
>
> Strange. I'm replying via the Gmail app on a Samsung phone, and the
"Quote text" checkbox is on by default.

> > You also have the "Respond inline" option which is would theoretically
> > render the text in standard format, but it's a pain to edit text if
> > the text itself is long (if you have a mobile try this).
>
> Currently doing this. It's a *bit* of a pain, but so is every text
manipulation operation on a touchscreen device with a sub-5 inch display,
considering the average human thimb size :-)

******* end text *****

Which I could easily cut out on any Pc but definitely not on my device. I
am not sure if any other email clients would allow me so. I think this is
an intrinsic limitation of these devices.

> > To the modern mobile user these are the possible strategies with
> > regards to technical mailing lists:
> >
> > 1) Throw away your mobile because it doesn't fit 1991 netiquette
> > (hardly common sense)
>
> Nonsense, no need to go ad absurdum here :-)
>
> > 2) Read your email on your mobile but make a bookmarks to yourself and
> > answer on your PC at night, when your brain is probably cooked
>
> You can write the draft on your mobile immediately (thinking up the text
being the the brain-demanding task), and make it decent and send it in the
evening - i.e. the cut/copy/paste tasks are not mentally demanding, so you
can do those when your brain is cooked.

Have you noticed that inline responding messes up with line breaks and
arrows?

And what to do with this big unquoted block of text below? I will not be
able to remove it.

The bad news is that this is going to happen by default on the PC too with
the so called new improved composing experience.

> > 3) Use the above mentioned "Respond inline" option but be prepared to
> > give up sanity when editing your post.
> > last but not least, my favourite:
> > 4) Do not include original text (if it's too long) but include
> > meaningful references to the nature of the discussion to prevent
> > readers from frying their brains. This is common sense. You can't
> > expect to reply to a message with a one liner like "Oh yes, I like
> > that too.". What were you talking about?
> >

> I think you've just improved my reply workflow - method 3 is actually
less work for me if I want to reply to multiple points from the original
message, but I hadn't thought of method 4 for when I want to adress only
1-2 of the original points.