[Arm-netbook] EOMA-68 hand-held games console in development

R.CG me at rcg.re
Tue Apr 30 11:50:58 BST 2013

On Apr 30, 2013 12:01 PM, "Ottavio Caruso" <ottavio2006-usenet2012 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> At the end of the day this is your home and if you don't want any such
> messages I respect that. However before we call all top posters stupid
> or lazy, I beg to express my opinion, which is as follows.

Maybe I missed something, but I don't think anybody called top posters
stupid. "Lazy" is a gray area - I'm the laziest man alive, but I will spend
the additional 2 minutes of formatting on my phone to avoid disrespecting
the list and causing everybody unnecessary inconvenience. Guess I wouldn't
call top-posters lazy. I'll assume they're uninformed, state the arguments
for bottom-posting, and if they continue top-posting, I would say they're
disrespectful :-)

> I used to be a "taliban" of "no top posting" and other old school Unix
> orthodoxy. Then I bought a 4.2'' mobile, and suddenly the world looks
> different. I expect the participants to this list to agree with me
> that by today's standards a Smartphone is pretty much _the_ computer.

No, it is one of the possible devices - I use it very often in read only
mode and for the occasional reply. But you're just punishing yourself if
you use it for more than 15 minutes of text editing. I know I'm currently
itching to type this on a decent input device :-)

> When you view and organize your email on a mobile the text is wrapped
> in a completely different way from the PC would do. Top or bottom
> posting don't make much sense.

I work around the horrible wrapping I'm currently experiencing by rotating
the phone sideways, so it can fit 80 characters in a line. Either way, I
don't see how wrapping is related to top/bottom posting.

And for me top posting is even more painful on the mobile - I have to
scroll around more on this damn screen to figure out what Ken is replying
to.

> I am able to use bottom posting natively here on my PC but I wouldn't
> be able to do that on the Gmail app on my Samsung. By default it
> doesn't even append the original text.

Strange. I'm replying via the Gmail app on a Samsung phone, and the "Quote
text" checkbox is on by default.

> You also have the "Respond inline" option which is would theoretically
> render the text in standard format, but it's a pain to edit text if
> the text itself is long (if you have a mobile try this).

Currently doing this. It's a *bit* of a pain, but so is every text
manipulation operation on a touchscreen device with a sub-5 inch display,
considering the average human thimb size :-)

> To the modern mobile user these are the possible strategies with
> regards to technical mailing lists:
>
> 1) Throw away your mobile because it doesn't fit 1991 netiquette
> (hardly common sense)

Nonsense, no need to go ad absurdum here :-)

> 2) Read your email on your mobile but make a bookmarks to yourself and
> answer on your PC at night, when your brain is probably cooked

You can write the draft on your mobile immediately (thinking up the text
being the the brain-demanding task), and make it decent and send it in the
evening - i.e. the cut/copy/paste tasks are not mentally demanding, so you
can do those when your brain is cooked.

> 3) Use the above mentioned "Respond inline" option but be prepared to
> give up sanity when editing your post.
> last but not least, my favourite:
> 4) Do not include original text (if it's too long) but include
> meaningful references to the nature of the discussion to prevent
> readers from frying their brains. This is common sense. You can't
> expect to reply to a message with a one liner like "Oh yes, I like
> that too.". What were you talking about?

I think you've just improved my reply workflow - method 3 is actually less
work for me if I want to reply to multiple points from the original
message, but I hadn't thought of method 4 for when I want to adress only
1-2 of the original points.