[Arm-netbook] EOMA-68 hand-held games console in development

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 09:06:33 BST 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 1:23 AM, Ken Phillis Jr <kphillisjr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Top posting is the default setting for Google Mail... I have no way to
> control this setting so expect this to happen a lot when people write
> quick messages using Google Email in the United states.

 then please, very sorry to say, but don't write "quick messages" on a
technical mailing list!!!  or, take some effort to cut/paste the
message, insert ">" manually yourself at appropriate line-breaks and
then reply to that, properly.

 or, *wait* before replying until you have access to better tools.

 i.e. if you're using tools which are inappropriate for the context
and usage [i.e. technical discussions with complex multi-way contexts
and multiple questions with multiple discussions ongoing even in the
same message], then the burden of responsibility is on *you* to adjust
to that environment.

 to do otherwise really wastes both your time and that of the people
who are replying *and* reading.  because you asked four or five
questions, and they were *above* the natural conversation thread, it
wasn't until i'd written four replies that i noticed what you were
actually asking.  that wasted my time, and yours, and the time of the
other 500 people on the list!

 if you are expecting all the other 500 people on this list to adjust
and compensate for *your* usage of a particular mailer which makes
their lives inconvenient and burdensome to reply to you, you had best
have a *really* good reason for doing so, namely you should be
contributing significantly to furthering the goals of the project.

 for example, if your reply had been, "i have a sales opportunity i'd
like to speak about, it's someone who wants to buy 100,000 games
consoles, whom should i contact?", i wouldn't mind that you
top-posted: it's a simple question, with a simple answer.

 does that help at all kenney?

 regarding the fact that there are "many people in the U.S. who use
gmail quick reply", i will be referring them to this conversation in
the archives.  if you're replying from a mobile device where you are
walking around and are potentially being distracted or have limited
typing and/or viewing space on-screen, please consider waiting until
you have access to proper resources and the time to reply with your
full attention: it is a matter of courtesy for the other 500 people on
this technically-orientated list.