[Arm-netbook] 15in EOMA-68 laptop

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 15:56:35 BST 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM, Hrvoje Lasic <lasich at gmail.com> wrote:

> ok. I understand the idea of toy kit but still you can make the best toy.
> there still can be good engineering.

 yes please!

> you are right. there are some keyboard and track pad of the shelf producer.
> it will be good idea to use them and to implement them. example:
>
> http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=100005067&SearchText=keyboard
> http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=notebook+trackpad

 awesome.

> pls note that with metal plates you will have problem with wifi and any
> wireless connection.

 yes.  open back.  or back not made of metal.

> another way is that you make slot antenna on metal sheet.

 oo.  that's novel. i like it.

> I am ok with rubber. We made several rubber extrusions and several molds in
> last several months. We did it from EPDM (there are some cheaper
> alternatives but this one is of good quality. Even better is silicone).

 great.  well, it really does need to be a band.  it's pretty simple.
two of them: one with holes where the connectors will be.  goes round
the edges, holds the two halves together: keyboard back-shell against
its metal plate, screen back-shell against its metal plate.

> yes, as long as you have parts we can make casing around it. you define
> parts, define dimensions, holes etc and we can build something around it.
> especially if it is not too difficult to make.

 ok - what about this as a hinge-pair, to get cables through?  note
the slots, so you don't have to thread cables (and the connector!)
through them, just drop the cable through the slot(s), assemble one
into the other then screw/bolt them onto their respective plates.

 http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/laptop/hinge.png

> easy and simple comes with good engineering :)

 :)

i'll do a rough sketch of the case next.