[Arm-netbook] A10 EOMA-68 CPU Card Schematics completed

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 20:03:28 BST 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Alejandro Mery <amery at geeks.cl> wrote:

> On 7 September 2012 19:38, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> - will these schematics be open sourced? when?
> >

> > don't know.  that'll have to be a question asked of wits-tech, at some
> > point.  i feel that they'll need to receive some revenue first from their
> > work, before committing to that, or to have the strategy and the clear
> > financial benefits to them clearly explained.
>
> uhm... time to `sed` out all the "Open Hardware Project" references
> from the wiki :'-(

 nooOo - anyone is still free to create open hardware projects, either CPU
Cards or I/O Boards, at any time.  we cannot however base a $NNBn business
on the hope - the hope - that someone *might* come along and create such a
CPU Card.  or that i (personally, who really WANTS there to exist an
open-licensed EOMA-68 CPU Card) personally *might* have the time and skill
to create a open-licensed EOMA-68 CPU Card using e.g. kicad.

> >> - does this new $relation$ with Wits gives us something new regarding
> >> the CedarX libraries and access to their latest u-boot/linux sources?
> >

> >  no.  wits-tech != allwinner.
>
> can you explain a little their relation?

from what i can gather, it's simply that wits-tech is the company that
allwinner chose to design their EVB.

> > i'll get to that in good time, once there is
> > a clear need which *directly* financially affects allwinner if the
> request
> > for the source code is not fulfilled.  for example, a TV product which a
> > client wants, where it simply won't work without the source code, and
> > allwinner would lose $NNm/yr in revenue.
> >
> >  under such circumstances, i will ask.  however, i'm not going to ask
> > *until* such circumstances arise.
>
> frustrating but expected.
>
> >> - any plan to make also a good eoma68 laptop soon?
> >>

> >  yes - a 14in laptop, by 10th october.
>
> that's why I added the "good" token to the question ;-) your client is
> price oriented,

mmm... i don't know that that's true.   what we do know is that every x86
laptop product they've produced has been too expensive for export, but that
that hasn't really mattered because their laptops are only bought
*internally* inside the PRC via "Govt Channels", where the *actual* price
really doesn't actually matter, it's all "funny-munny" so to speak.

when we asked them what their goals were they said "to not lose too much
money and to keep everyone employed" which is shockingly hilarious given
the scale they're operating on.  luckily they have many many different
departments, some of which are massively profitable so they can absorb
these kinds of things, but not forever!

so... we can't *actually* say that they are "price-orientated".  we do know
that their absolute top priority is to keep everyone employed.
profit-maximisation is definitely a secondary consideration for them.

>  obviously, the absolute top priority will have to be on getting the 25
> machines done by 10th october, but anyone else can have their completed
> laptops at any time convenient to the ODM, at the ODM's own working pace,
> *after* they've fulfilled our client's requirements.

do you have any rendering or picture of the device you can show?

no - we're still waiting for them to supply the samples that need to be
converted.  ok, we've been screaming at them, if i'm honest, given the
short timescales.  i'm told that they're ready, and i'm told that an AOC
screen has been used (i am *guessing* it's a 1280x800) but i won't know
until we receive the samples some time in the next few days.

i'm thinking of asking the ODM to add a daughterboard for dealing with
different LCD panels, just in case.

we'll see.

ok gotta go.