[Arm-netbook] EOMA server standard

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dave at treblig.org
Sat Oct 27 12:41:08 BST 2012

* luke.leighton (luke.leighton at gmail.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Baybal Ni <nikulinpi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 26 October 2012 09:31, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>  *that's* a good standard.  yes.  take the 8 USB wires.  you can
> >> auto-negotiate all the way from USB1.1 right the way up to USB3.
> >> that's _great_.  likewise with 10/100/1000 ethernet.  8 wires,
> >> auto-negotiation.  likewise with SATA: exact same wires, you can
> >> auto-negotiate all the way from 150kbit/sec right up to 6gbits/sec.
> >

> > Don't forget that autonegotiation works over any amount of wires. So
> > it's possible to mandate that the backplane will ALWAYS have 8 lanes,
> > and card can use either 8 or 4.
>
>  for PCIe?  my understanding is that PCIe can down-level negotiate
> even to single-lane, and also detect the version of PCIe (1, 2, 3
> etc.)
>
>  so again, yes, thank you baybal - PCIe is another good example.  hell
> of a lot more wires, which is why i'm reluctant to add it to any
> standard, but it's a good example.

Is it really that many more - one way around the networking stuff would
be to put no networking over the connector, just put as many PCIe lanes
as you can fit, and then the chassis can have a standard PCIe slot
to put the users choice of networking card in.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /