[Arm-netbook] EOMA server standard

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 16:44:37 BST 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Mehmet Mersin <mmersin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Mehmet Mersin <mmersin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In one of the previous mails, you said you'd consider making a
>>> different design / spec for server version. I think no one will use
>>> 24+ pins reserved for rgb output in a server system.
>>
>>  no - that was referring to the existing EOMA-68 standard, which is a
>> standard designed for mass-volume appliances, *not* servers.  EOMA-68
>> just happens to include USB3, 10/100/1000 Ethernet and SATA-III.
>
> What I meant is making  EOMA-68 desktop (client?) and  EOMA-68 server versions
> but it's probably not what you're trying to do.

 actually it's all up for consideration: there's no reason why not to
re-use the PCMCIA connector for both.  just a little care would have
to be taken, that's all.

> My reasoning is even for a home server, if it's a file server I want to have
> at least 2 SATA ports for RAID-1. And for a router I want to have at least
> 2 native (not USB) ethernet ports. But these also mean EOMA-68 is not for me :)

 ... but a server standard might.

>>  does anyone know of any other SoCs which have 2 SATA, 2 GbE and 2of
>> 1x PCIe?  or anything remotely close to that?
>>

> Marvell Armada XP series have 2 SATA, 4 Gb Ethernet and many many PCIe lanes.
> Also multiple cpu cores.

 ok, superb.  so, actually, 2x SATA, 2x GbE and 2x 1 PCIe would be
very doable, it seems.

 any others, from different manufacturers, anyone know of?