[Arm-netbook] EOMA server standard

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dave at treblig.org
Wed Oct 24 19:13:11 BST 2012

* luke.leighton (luke.leighton at gmail.com) wrote:
> for the pin-outs i figured that at least one 10GBase-T interface (8
> pins plus 8 GND spacers) would be acceptable, as would SATA-3 (4 pins
> plus 4 GND spacers).  that's 24 pins already (!).  PCI-Express 4x is
> 64 pins.  that's up to 88 *already*.  adding in USB3, it's not
> unreasonable to imagine this would be a 100-pin standard.

The problem with 10G is that there are at least 3 copper and 2 fibre
standards to chose from, so chosing 10GB-t may not be right.  Most systems
have SFP pluggable modules so you can chose the type you use.
While fibre is currently common, I think that's mostly because it's used
for inter-rack/site mostly; but you don't need it for the machines in a rack.

There is an elwctrical standard for connction prior to the phy, I think
that's xaui, I'm not sure if that's the same as the SFPconnections.

Dave

> so this is going to need some really careful thought.
>
> l.

/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /