[Arm-netbook] Google ARM Chromebook

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Oct 19 09:46:09 BST 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 07:19:50PM +0100, Paul Kench wrote:

> http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/18/3521492/google-new-samsung-chromebook-249-monday
>
> Very interesting. Await screen specs etc.

The google description:

    http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/landing.html

Specs:
    11.6 (1366x768) display
    0.8 inches thin - 2.5 lbs / 1.1 kg
    Over 6.5 hours of battery 1
    Samsung Exynos 5 Dual Processor
    100 GB Google Drive Cloud Storage2 with Solid State Drive
    Built-in dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
    VGA Camera
    1x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0
    HDMI Port
    Bluetooth 3.0 Compatible

So, as far as I can see, NO local storage, you always need to be connected. The
100GB Google storage is only free for 2 years. If you buy 2 of these things you
still only get 100GB. If you sell the machine, the new owner does not get storage.
I wonder if you can get it to use storage off your local file server ?

It also makes it hard to wipe & reinstall a real OS rather that ChromeOS.

Interesting: no hard wired ethernet, connect via WiFi - I wonder if, for
consumer PCs, the hard wired cable will go the same way as the floppy; if you
really want one get a USB plugin one.

Also talked about here:

    http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/10/18/2048243/arm-based-chromebooks-ready-to-battle-windows-8-tablets

SUMMARY

A device to enable consumers use lots of google services.

All in all - something to avoid.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/