[Arm-netbook] ATX motherboard

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 16:40:21 BST 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
> [..]

> A product like this can only really happen via a back door

 that's what i'm sneaking in.  with GW being able to make 20 million
units a *week* right now, there's plenty of room for "sneaking" :)

> or community interest.

 ordinarily, community interest wouldn't come close to the pricing
we've come to expect of retail ARM-based products.  aside from some
rare instances (the openpandora, the ouya, XO-Ns) "community interest"
is often unfortunately associated with "not profitable" and, as we've
seen so many times, the door's slammed shut.

 the strategy we're deploying is basically there to help SoC vendors
go from "vertical market control" - hardware pre-supplied with
pre-compiled out-of-the-box software, which was unfortunately taught
to SoC vendors by the factories being incapable of doing any kind of
software programming themselves - to considering their SoCs to be part
of "general purpose modules" sold in mass-volume.

 it's quite a big "trust" jump for them, but we'll get there.