[Arm-netbook] EU restricting power consumption of discrete chips

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue Oct 16 14:45:10 BST 2012

On 10/16/2012 02:35 PM, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Gordan Bobic<gordan at bobich.net>  wrote:
>> On 10/16/2012 02:17 PM, luke.leighton wrote:
>>> http://www.nordichardware.com/news/71-graphics/46718-eu-cripples-future-graphics-cards-exclusive-.html
>>>
>>> this is... fascinating.
>>
>> Putting a limit on it in W, I could understand. But in GB/s? This is a
>> serious WTF.
>>
>> Unless, of course, there is a hidden subtext in the sense they don't
>> want powerful hardware to be easily available to people for purposes
>> such as encryption cracking.
>
>   ... ahh, i love such conspiracy theories :)
>
>   more info - comments indicating that the article is just poor journalism:
>
>   "Yeah, they've posted the wrong link (it's an outdated preliminary
> study), the actual draft of the policy is here:
> http://www.eup-network.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Computers-Draft-Regulation-subject-to-ISC.PDF
>
> Now it should be mentioned that whoever wrote this article fails
> horribly at basic reading comprehension/is trying to grab attention by
> spewing sensationalist BS because the draft is BEING MISINTERPRETED
> HORRIBLY. THERE IS NO MENTION OF ACTUALLY TRYING TO LIMIT THE TOTAL
> POWER CONSUMPTION OF GPUS OR PERFORMANCE, THEY'RE JUST CATEGORISING
> THEM INTO DIFFERENT PERFORMANCE GROUPS AND SETTING REASONABLE LIMITS
> FOR IDLE/SLEEP POWER DRAW FOR EACH CATEGORY.
>
> Perfectly reasonable if you ask me, it can only benefit the end user
> if their devices aren't being horribly inefficient when they're not
> actually putting all their resources to use. Apart from that they're
> also seeking to enforce the 80+ bronze standard for PSUs, another
> thing that actually benefits the consumer."

The endless legislating doesn't actually help anyone. It's just
politicians feebly attempting to justify their existence and
over-inflated pay cheques. All that'll end up happening is that the
branded devices will become a little more expensive due to the extra red
tape, and more people will just end up buying cheaper, possibly less
efficient alternatives from the far east via ebay and aliexpress.

Gordan