[Arm-netbook] Crowd Sourcing Proposal

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Oct 11 14:02:18 BST 2012

On 10/11/2012 01:15 PM, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Gordan Bobic<gordan at bobich.net>  wrote:

>>> even if you focus in developers and so called intelligent-eco-conscious
>>> people you need to make an attractive proposal for something that can be
>>> used from the start for something beside collecting dust.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> This is an important point. The vast majority of developers don't
>> develop for the sake of development - they develop because they need
>> something done.
>>
>> An EOMA module on it's own isn't particularly useful without an actual
>> useful chassis to plug it into. Without at least one chassis type being
>> readily available you don't actually have a product - you have a
>> _component_.
>
>   the micro engineering board is easy to get done, and would likely be
> saleable for $10.   the mini engineering board, having things like an
> LVDS converter IC, WIFI module, USB Hub and so on starts to get up to
> $20 on its own, and, apart from the LVDS converter IC, really isn't
> anything more than what someone can achieve with an off-the-shelf USB
> hub and off-the-shelf retail WIFI USB dongle.
>
> thoughts?

How about a nice little box that makes it connect to an Atrix Mk1
lapdock? That way you can get a lapdock for ~$70 and have a nice modular
laptop that doesn't look like a horrible bodge.

The thing is - we've discussed this at some length here before. And
since all the "box" would do is essentially break out USB and HDMI.
Whatever happened to this idea? It's bound to be cheaper in terms of
development and manufacturing costs than doing a complete laptop chassis.

Gordan