[Arm-netbook] Crowd Sourcing Proposal

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 14:17:15 BST 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Alejandro Mery <amery at geeks.cl> wrote:

>>   so we'll need to add at least a nominal margin, bringing the cost up
>> to say $49 ex VAT.  that margin is what will cover the NREs.  $2500
>> for doing the first 10 PCBs (wits-tech has them already, we need to
>> get them populated now, at sample-level costs).
>>

> after some talking on the irc channel it became clear to me that without
> "devices" people won't commit :< you'll need to include the mini
> engineering board since the beginning so people finds the card useful
> for something beside collecting dust until real devices are available.

 the micro-board.  it'll make available the Ethernet, USB2 and SATA,
as well as provide 5V power via a socket and provide an unpopulated
header for the RGB/TTL and GPIO.  the A10 EOMA-68 Card will already
have HDMI, USB-OTG, Micro-SD and Audio sockets so all told it'll be a
damn good deal.

> btw, $49 is the retail price of the cubieboard.

 sorry, but you're not comparing like-with-like situations, here.  we
expect this one A10 CPU Card to be ramped up to volumes millions of
units, which the cubieboard is unlikely to do (sorry tom, but it's
true!)

 so by buying this CPU Card - even if it's more expensive in lower
volumes at the moment - you're helping to support us in our goal of
serving millions of people, bringing them lower-cost flexible
computing.

 you see the difference?  hmm, i should point that out on the page, shouldn't i.