[Arm-netbook] Crowd Sourcing Proposal

Alejandro Mery amery at geeks.cl
Wed Oct 10 12:55:45 BST 2012

On 09/10/12 21:01, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Brendan Sleight <bms.debian at barwap.com> wrote:
>> New thread was "FPGA and Bitcoin Mining"
>>
>> On 8 October 2012 19:11, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>   then, amazingly - i'd completely forgotten about this, who the heck
>>> wrote it, it's brilliant.
>>> http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/crowd_funding_proposal/
>> Thanks, was a few months ago, but that would be me.
>> http://lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/2011-December/001329.html
>>
>> Feedback is welcome it is a bit of a straw-man at the moment. It is
>> not necessary pitched at people in this list, more pitched towards
>> people that would buy at $35 level (heck or even the $5 sticker
>> level).
>
>   right - $35 is approximately the cost of the components (CPU priced
> at appx $12.50, 1gb RAM @ appx $4.50, NAND @ appx $6 - the rest all
> adds up and there are about 80 components).
>
>   so we'll need to add at least a nominal margin, bringing the cost up
> to say $49 ex VAT.  that margin is what will cover the NREs.  $2500
> for doing the first 10 PCBs (wits-tech has them already, we need to
> get them populated now, at sample-level costs).

after some talking on the irc channel it became clear to me that without
"devices" people won't commit :< you'll need to include the mini
engineering board since the beginning so people finds the card useful
for something beside collecting dust until real devices are available.
btw, $49 is the retail price of the cubieboard.