[Arm-netbook] I Have An Possible Chance To Meet An ARM Senior Manager

Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross arm-netbook at aross.me
Tue Oct 9 02:31:34 BST 2012

On 08/10/12 18:45, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross
> <arm-netbook at aross.me> wrote:
>> Hmm need to refine my wording of my thinking so it is clear.
>
>   nono, i was just speculating.  apologies.

No apologies need. I am constantly thinking how can I improve my writing,

> [...]
> well... why should anyone care to even put the pieces of the puzzle
> together?
>
>   i certainly wouldn't have bothered, if i didn't care about free
> software, the environment etc. all rolled into one.
>
>> By good I mean good quality reading/writings not the rubbish most so
>> call "journalists" pump out.
>
>   :)
>
>> A good example is the writings by yea FSF.
>
>   unf.  ok.  here's the situation.  summary: it's below everyone's
> radar, but here's the details:
>
>   * linux kernel developers have their heads down, focussing on
> improving linux.  they do *not* get to talk to Fabless Semiconductor
> Companies.  it's not their "job" to talk to Fabless Semi's, it's their
> "job" to write linux kernel code.
>   * multiple independent Fabless Semiconductor Companies have their
> heads down, designing ICs.  they do *not* get to talk to Linux Kernel
> developers.  they certainly do not get to talk to their competitors.
> if any hardware IC design engineertried to talk about how there's a
> problem with the linux kernel source code, and how there isn't a BIOS
> in the ARM world, they'd get fired or demoted.
>   * the FSF doesn't have the resources to cover this situation.
>   * other Free Software Foundations are focussed on... well...
> software, not hardware.
>   * very few people have even the technical skills to recognise that
> there's even a problem that needs to be addressed.
>   * journalists *certainly* haven't the capability to comprehend that
> there's a problem, let alone write it up.
>
> so there's absolutely no communication, no incentive *to* communicate,
> plenty of incentive *NOT* to communicate; nobody's identifying that
> there's a problem of communication; it's too complex for them to
> comprehend; it's too complex for people to even begin to see how the
> solution (EOMA) links to the problem!
>
> bottom line is: you won't find any articles, because journalists don't
> understand the problem.  you won't find any blogs by the "respected"
> free software leaders, because blogs get peoples' attention if the
> people saying something are "respected" in the first place, and apart
> from anything, the majority of free software leaders are focussed on
> *their* bit of software, right in front of them.
>
>   they're certainly not employed by anyone, nor is their foundation
> behind them, or otherwise have a good reason or incentive to focus on
> "why it is that ARM has no BIOS and why the whole shebang is such a
> mess".
>
>   it's only someone like me, basically, who is... how-to-say... an
> attention-deficit asperger's-style "wandering mind" who gets kicked
> out of free software forums for being too intelligent (and thus
> threatening to the status quo leadership) who can put 2 and 2 together
> *and* care that the answer's not exactly 5, you see what i'm saying?
>
>   the short version: nobody else cares! :)
>
>   does that help explain why you're unlikely to find anyone else

yep. Looks like you give me that good writing instead of some no one :).
poor luke slaving away.. When's your birthday? (Not promising anything.)
I as the question of "Any more reading?" when I get things wrong just in
case there is more I ought to know.

I know the FSF are software not hardware. Just trying to think of an
examples in general of good writings. To help clarify "good". The last
place I expected there to be anything is your average FS blog. Don't
care if I have heard of some author or not. What I care about is the
writing in question. Yep, it's all down to "Is someone interested in
<this>."

I keep on failing to mention details/clarify what I mean.

I typed yea instead of yee. Typical of mee grre.

Do tell your rants of FS forums, should you be able to face it. Can you
face proving some links? In a separate thread as this is going of topic?

Right bed and <strike>tomorrow</strike> today booking a meeting with the
ARM senior manager.