[Arm-netbook] Ask him for Android DDK (Was: I Have An Possible Chance To Meet An ARM Senior Manager)

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sun Oct 7 13:50:59 BST 2012

On 10/07/2012 12:43 PM, luke.leighton wrote:

>   no - it's literally impossible, and not even desirable, to have a
> "standard" compiler tool-chain for android.  the worst thing that
> would happen would be that the toolchain has to cater for "Lowest
> Common Denominator" - a bit like forcing everyone to use gcc optimised
> for intel 386 and ignoring all the SSE, MMX and other features for x86
> CPUs that are 2 decades more advanced than the 386.

Forcing people to use gcc pretty much equates to not optimizing for SSE.
Last I checked, gcc's vectorization still sucks as much as it did a
couple of years ago when I last looked at it in detail:

http://www.altechnative.net/2010/12/31/choice-of-compilers-part-1-x86/

So at least this was a bad example to give. :)

Gordan