[Arm-netbook] Ask him for Android DDK (Was: I Have An Possible Chance To Meet An ARM Senior Manager)

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 12:53:04 BST 2012

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Carlos Balseiro
<myhateisblind at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Alex ideas are really interesting. I will be happy if ARM just showed some concern about the continuous GPL violations commited by some of the SoC producers.

 carlos: it would indeed, because it's affecting their profitability.
however, as ARM is just a Silicon Design Company and licensee of that,
it's not really "their problem".

 if on the other hand, ARM actually released their own SoC, then that
would be a different matter, and they would be able to demonstrate and
lead by example.  however, their own clients would absolutely scream
at them for competing in *their* territory.  it would be an incredibly
tough sell, a very risky strategy, just to justify and demonstrate to
their own clients that they should honour GPL Software Licenses??  i
don't see it happening.

 on the other hand, some P.R. and putting some money towards
companies, foundations and to projects that honour the GPL?  now that
might work.  it would have to be very very carefully explained why.

 basically what i'm saying is that if it really bothers ARM that there
are continuous GPL violations, then ARM should consider funding the
EOMA-68 project, because we flatly refuse to work with SoC vendors
that will not honour the GPL.

 in this way, the benefits of full GPL compliance are made clear by
example, due to successful mass-volume products being shipped which
are GPL compliant *in advance*.

> Also more support for their GPUs in Linux.

 YES.  absolutely, absolutely critical is for them to release the FULL
source code of the OpenGL MALI *userspace* library.  all of it.
mentioning the http://limadriver.org project to him would be a good
idea, and how embarrassing it would be to ARM that, one day, a
mass-volume product is shipped advertising LIMA not MALI.  Copyright
(C) The LIMA Free Software Development Team, rather than Copyright (C)
ARM Holdings Ltd.