[Arm-netbook] Use of 2N3904

jm joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Sat Nov 10 18:20:36 GMT 2012

On Sat, 2012-11-10 at 17:40 +0000, Justin Cormack wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The stuff I do is all GPL/creative commons.
> >> Is that OK and what is your licensing terms?
> >
> >  i prefer the AGPL, if that's ok.  Affero GPLv3 works with me,
> > definitely for the KiCAD stuff (it's what i put the stuff under
> > git.rhombus-tech.net in the eoma.git repo)
> >
> >  circuits are a bit odd: it's not like they can be done any other way;
> > things like op-amp circuits it's hard to claim copyright as it is.  to
> > "claim" copyright it's necessary to make a 15 to 20% change and
> > apparently that's enough to create a new copyright.
>
> I would talk to the FSF before applying AGPL to circuit schematics, as
> the wording does not apply, all the references to "object code" would
> actually need to refer to a physical object made from the circuit, so
> the legal language is probably invalid for this use case. Also could
> be issues with preferred form of source.
>
> I would use a standard open hardware license, or creative commons.

I am inclined to believe you because the AGPL is worded for web services
which is why I am so confused over it being applied to schematics.
If I release under GPL and creative commons, I am assuming it works
to protect everyone downstream. But if it doesn't then I'll go with
whatever is best. Luke, that is cue for you to tell us how
the AGPL is better than GPL/creative commons, or what the deficiencies
of GPL/creative commons might be say 5 years down the road
for all the contributors such that they might want to switch to the
AGPL.