[Arm-netbook] R-Pi Only Better and More Available?

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon May 28 11:06:33 BST 2012

On 05/28/2012 04:43 AM, lkcl luke wrote:

>> and the project had to make
>> sure that everything produced fell under that patent so an undisclosed fee
>> could be charged.
>
>   well, you tell me how else the following goals are to be met, and i
> will consider them:
>
>   a) protection from people fucking up the EOMA initiative by being
> either plain fucking incompetent or DELIBERATELY releasing
> electrically incompatible products that cause short-circuits,
> potentially resulting in fires and death, let alone destroying both
> their own market as well as ours by causing people to be too afraid to
> buy products that might not work or worse might even kill them.

Surely you can see that having a patent on something isn't going to stop
a noname Chinese manufacturer from making a product based on it, right?
It might work, it might not, it may or may not be dangerous. But you can
be sure that by the time the product is on eBay the actual manufacturer
will be unfindable, and certainly not economically pursuable.

>   b) funding for future products.

A better reason than a), but again, applicability of it will largely
depend on who the manufacturers that want to make EOMA modules are (see
argument above under a)).

Gordan