[Arm-netbook] Getting X to run on Mele

Alejandro Mery amery at geeks.cl
Tue May 22 11:12:25 BST 2012

On 22/05/12 04:28, Tom Cubie wrote:

> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Barry Kauler <bkauler at gmail.com
> <mailto:bkauler at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Tom,
>     Hi, you might have seen my recent posts on the arm-netbook mail list.
>
>     I am compiling a 3.0.31 kernel from github amery,
>     allwinner-v3.0-android-v2 branch, and I can get it to boot to the
>     commandline on my Mele A1000, however I cannot get X to start.
>
>     I get an error "/dev/fb0: no such device".
>
> Must be the problem of the display driver?

sound more like lcd/hdmi modules were not loaded (modprobe)

>     i have tried various things, no go.
>
>     I was wondering if you could send me the .config file that you used
>     for the 3.0.8+ kernel that you used in the Ubuntu SD card image that
>     you uploaded?
>
> I use the default sun4i config in the 3.0.8 kernel.

what's the intended difference between sun4i_defconfig and
sun4i_crane_defconfig? the later is clearly more android-ish.

>     If I examine the differences with my own .config, perhaps that will
>     give me the clue to fix it.
>
>     Note, it was great having your SD image, it enabled me to play around
>     on the Mele and compile apps and test various things. Your kernel
>     lacked support for SATA, which apparently the latest sources have
>     fixed. Plus, I also need to compile my own kernel as I need to enable
>     some more drivers, such as Squashfs.
>
> The attachment is the sata driver in 3.0.8 kernel in our internal tree,
> which was added recently.
> (Hi, amery, can you apply it to the tree on git hub?)
> It was not in the leaked allwinner 3.0.8 kernel source code.

thanks, I've added it to the lichee-3.0.8-sun4i branch [1] , and sync'ed
with the one we had forward-ported from 2.6.36 in
allwinner-v3.0-android-v2 [2], but ended up been almost identical (see
[2]) so I really doubt it fixes any of the reported problems at all.

[1]
https://github.com/amery/linux-allwinner/commit/5080a650d1c91e6da2f29d4480bbf7e44b08cfad
[2]
<https://github.com/amery/linux-allwinner/commit/90ee8bd51532912a9bd8771d5250e1c708f435cb>

> I haven't
> track the issues on amery's github,
> though a lot of problems there : (. I am very busy recently, day and
> night, and i no time to concern the
> mail list or the git repo, sorry.

don't worry, just don't disappear :)