[Arm-netbook] Trouble booting kernel on A1000, amery config settings

Barry Kauler bkauler at gmail.com
Mon May 21 11:56:03 BST 2012

On 5/21/12, Peter Steenbergen <p.steenbergen at j1nx.nl> wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Barry Kauler <bkauler at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Firstly, a small note: the "Hacking the Mele A1000" page has an
>> incorrect statement, that the picture showing the gnd-rx-tx pins for
>> the uart are wrong. Actually, the picture is correct, and I have added
>> a correction note to the page:
>>

> Hmm, it was me who added that remark into the text. I took me hours
> fiddling around why I diod not saw my Mele A1000 booting. Went to IRC, and
> they tipped me about switching Txd Rxd. It is such a smart idea that it
> could be one of my ideas ;)
>
> Anyway, switching solved it. Now I assumed the pins on the mele were wrong,
> but off xourse it can also be the usb-ttl convertor I got from Tom.
>
> I am again for a 6 weeks project in Abu Dhabi, so can not check it. So I
> leave it for now.
> cheers

Peter,
I also got the converter from Tom.

I think that the misunderstanding has occurred because the wires have
to be crossed over. That is, you don't connect Tx and Rx on the Mele
to Tx and Rx on the converter, you cross them over.

Tx on the Mele socket needs to go to Rx on the converter, and Rx on
the Mele to Tx on the converter.

...ha ha, Luke will probably say, why isn't that explained in the
wiki? yes, I'll put that in right now.

And, if everyone thinks my correction is ok, and I haven't lost the
plot somehow with this, I will remove the original comment about the
pin labeling on the picture being wrong.

Regards,
Barry Kauler