[Arm-netbook] Mele A1000: SATA HD does not work

cnxsoft cnxsoft at cnx-software.com
Sun May 6 13:33:27 BST 2012

On 06/05/2012 18:59, Alejandro Martínez wrote:
> The .bin files are used by the kernel to set different parameters.
> You can get a plaintext format version of them (in an ini-like format
> called .fex) by using this tool from Alejandro Mery:
> https://github.com/amery/sunxi-tools
> It can be compiled back by using this closed-source tool (only
> available in binary form): http://eiffel.itram.es/files/script
>
> I tried to pinpoint (diffing both .fex'es and trying to make an
> intermediate version between both) what is wrong, but my SD crashed on
> the meantime. Maybe a Wiki page to join efforts would be nice to have,
> I might create it now...
>

> Alejandro
>
> On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Barry Kauler<bkauler at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 5/6/12, cnxsoft<cnxsoft at cnx-software.com>  wrote:
>>> On 03/05/2012 23:29, Barry Kauler wrote

>>> I've tried mele_stock.bin (copied it over evb.bin), and Ethernet and X
>>> (VGA output) seem to work fine.
>>>
>>> However, I have to insert the Wifi module 8192cu manually now to have
>>> WiFi working, or ifup wlan0 would just hang.
>>>
>> Ah, thanks.
>> This is one point where I was confused. There are evb.bin, mele.bin
>> and mele_stock.bin in the first partition of the Debian build.
>>
>> I did not understand why there are three different .bin files, and
>> what each one did.
>>
>> So, evb.bin is the only one in use, the others are just alternatives
>> that can be renamed to evb.bin if required to be used?

In u-boot if you type printenv, it will show load1, load2 and load3
variables with the three bin files
e.g. load1=fatload mmc 0 43000000 evb.bin

but the boot command only uses evb.bin
bootcmd=run load1 boot_mmc

I've deleted mele.bin and sys_config.mele.mod.bin, and it still works.
So I suppose you are right they are just alternatives.