[Arm-netbook] Mele/A10 Kernel

Alejandro Mery amery at geeks.cl
Tue May 1 17:43:22 BST 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 16:52, cnxsoft <cnxsoft at cnx-software.com> wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 20:36, Henrik Nordström wrote:
>> tis 2012-05-01 klockan 13:59 +0100 skrev lkcl luke:
>>
>>>   in other words, do consider using the 2.6.{whatever} kernel - or
>>> whatever actually works, get everything working, and _then_ replace
>>> one and *ONLY* one component at a time.
>> Not sure what you mean by this. Replace what components with what?
>>
>> We have the 2.6.36 allwinner android kernel. It mostly works.
>>
>> Ongoing work is aiming at getting a newer kernel running. This is done
>> by porting piece by piece from 2.6.36 to newer kernels (currently 3.0
>> and 3.3) and cleaning them up a bit in the process.
>>
>> Regards
>> Henrik
>>

> I'm wondering why you're working to port both 3.0 and 3.3 kernels,
> instead of just focusing on 3.3 for instance. Is there a specific reason ?

The reason I had for working in 3.0 initially was based in the hope
that Allwinner would release their 3.0.8+ sooner (if ever) and have a
common ground to merge their new code and fixes (done after 2.6.36)
and our fixes and cleanups, and also because the leap in API changes
is smaller (baby steps).

3.0 is also what ubuntu oneric uses so it could be used to produce a
.deb to run on linaro 12.03... I never expected Linaro's release based
on ubuntu 12.04 came this fast.

I never expected the