[Arm-netbook] proyect easy pc

Tsvetan Usunov - OLIMEX Ltd usunov at olimex.com
Sat Mar 24 07:52:47 GMT 2012

Hi Hugo

very interesting project
what is your target release price? timeframe to complete this project?
Also I see you are attracted to use EOMA68 as there is anouncement for $15
BOM, but I can't see what is the sell price of EOMA68 ? i.e. the price of
the BOM is just part of the final price of one device, there should be also
provisions for the assembly, test, pack, some NREs for compliance tests,
etc.
Luke, I do wonder if you have pre-estimations: if EOMA68 is manufactured in
xxx quantity you can buy it from us for $yyy if you buy zzz modules at a
time.
So far I found somewhere on the web one to state that A10 cost $5 for
million pcs order, Luke said in e-mail to me that this $7 price he put on
the web in the BOM is based on 500 000 pcs per month prognosis, If I search
through independent disti I got twice than this price for 1000 pcs i.e. the
processor price for 1000 pcs is close to the BOM $15 price quoted.

we work on similar project with iMX233 the goal is to make small linux
computer which to be easy to reproduce and hack some mix of linux computer
and arduino, I was interested in A10 but the price for small quantity is
about same as iMX535 which I can get with registered project to Freescale.
And If I have to do comparison with the development resources A10 lose big
time, the only documents so far I got for A10 is datasheet with 75 pages
which just say which ball what function have and all electrical parameters
with TBD values :-) no word for register and peripherial initializations,
it may work for companies which just do blind copy and paste of the EVK
schematic and use the existing linux images to build tablet PC or TV box,
but not serious if one decide to make development platform which people to
be able to improve and hack.

Best regards
Tsvetan