[Arm-netbook] Raspberry Pi, Allwinner, and CuBox in the Linux hardware race to tiniest and cheapest

Alejandro Mery amery at geeks.cl
Wed Mar 7 11:47:29 GMT 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 12:16, lkcl luke <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Alejandro Mery <amery at geeks.cl> wrote:
>>>
>>>  *sigh* the article's exciting but generally inaccurate.  the most
>>> glaring error is the assumption that the board will be sold with a
>>> zero profit margin.
>>
>> unfortunatelly everything about eoma everywhere gives the wrong
>> impression that boards, specially the a10-based one is going to be
>> sold at manufacturing cost
>
>  i'm not sure where people get the impression that a CIC can survive
> on zero profit from.
>
>  a not-for-profit charitable foundation can survive on zero profit.

You see a (your) company and prices from the perspective of it. The
wiki reflects this view.
Normal people, with short attention span and not involved in the
project, see boards and prices as what they have to pay. And so they
compare the $[0-9]+ patterns in the text they read^Wscan with the sale
prices shown by the other projects... and get the wrong impression
that those patterns reflect.

imho the only way of not giving that wrong zero-profit impression is
to list prices reflecting profit and other not-manufacturing costs so
potential buyers without hardware manufactoring background can really
see what they are going to pay (per quantities).