[Arm-netbook] going to try and build CM9 for my new A10 9.7" tablets

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 20:59:17 BST 2012

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 4:41 PM,  <simon at koala.ie> wrote:

> it is not like that. i have to have alpha product ready by the end of
> august.
> i would quite happily use EOMA if it was available. i really would.

 *sigh*.  the new engineering team are working part-time because the
business that they work for has other established clients that they
need to prioritise.  it's getting there.  i can't say if they'll have
an A10 CPU Card ready by then, but it might happen.

>>  in some ways this isn't the sort of thing you can do "research" on,
>> because as it's such an endemic problem (95%+ GPL violations rate)
>> you'd spend probably 10k on samples when you could actually spend that
>> money on getting a board _made_ for goodness sake, and solve the
>> problem entirely.
>
> are you saying that for 10k i could get a board made?

 by using engineers on china-based rates not european $100-$150/hr?
yes of course.

> what would that contain?

 well i know of an engineering firm that, if they were actually paid
(rather than working with engineering firms as partners) could likely
have the A10 CPU Card done in 7-10 days because they have the same
tools as Wits-Tech. or, we could actually pay Wits-Tech themselves.

i did a _little_ bit of schematic layout work already - back in
january - using ORCAD.  it was absolutely dreadfully slow (running
under Wine, believe it or not) but i completed the RTL8210CP (ethernet
circuit), added in the 44-pin expansion header and also the 68-pin
PCMCIA connector.

 so it really should not be hard for any engineering firm to complete
this.  the schematics are done.  were done (back in january).  the
hardest part (DDR3 PCB layout) we've already received from wits-tech.
the rest should be trivial for any good engineering firm with the
exact same tools (ORCAD/Allegro, and PADS from Mentor Graphics).