[Arm-netbook] http://lateral.netmanagers.com.ar/weblog/posts/the-raspberry-pi-suck s.html

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Wed Jun 20 11:59:47 BST 2012

On 06/20/2012 11:25 AM, Lauri Kasanen wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 11:16:13 +0100
> Gordan Bobic<gordan at bobich.net>  wrote:
>
>> If that is such a big issue (and it is certainly not a trivial issue),
>> then maybe pursuing an ARM solution is wrong in the first place and we
>> should be pursuing a solution based on Loongson MIPS, a-la Leemote
>> Yeeloong or similar.
>
> They haven't (yet?) made any graphics chips. The laptops use 2d-only chips from SMI, with open specs; the desktops use XGI chips, without open specs but with a RE-d open 2d driver IIRC.
>
> So no magic open 3d with Loongson either.

I have not yet heard a compelling argument for why 3D is actually
needed. A lightweight ARM laptop isn't going to be a gaming rig by any
length of imagination anyway. An ARM server isn't going to need graphics
of any description at all.

Why the ongoing hang-up about 3D graphics? Seriously, what is the point?

Gordan