[Arm-netbook] Allwinner git / GPL stalemate situation

Enrico ebutera at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jun 1 20:55:43 BST 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Alejandro Mery <amery at geeks.cl> wrote:
> On 01/06/12 19:31, lkcl luke wrote:

>>> it is not against the law. if you sign that NDA, you cannot release the
>>> code under the GPL, thus you cannot release a product.
>>
>>   ... and AllwinnerTech lose their right to distribute the code under
>> the GPL for violating the GPL license, because forcing people to sign
>> NDAs in order to receive GPL source code is itself not permitted under
>> the terms and conditions of the GPL.
>>
>>   that basically puts their entire business in the shitter.
>>
>>   when will these f*****g companies start to f*****g get it??
>
> from what I see this "threat" is absolutely meaningless for them

That's exactly the point, we can talk for days about gpl violations
and Allwinner rights, we can ping the FSF to do something and in 6
months Allwinner will release the code, but today Tsvetan problem will
stay the same. And he's not big enough to threaten a company he wants
to do business with.

(That said, i'd love to see their a** kicked too).

Enrico