[Arm-netbook] Good netbook based on Cortex-A9

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue Jul 31 18:48:45 BST 2012

On 07/31/2012 05:28 PM, lkcl luke wrote:

>> At some point that approach gets sufficiently farcical that people will
>> just stop using money and go back to good old fashioned bartering. And
>> then we get to see what happens when your self assesment says that you
>> owe the tax man two chickens and a goat. :)
>
>   ha ha.  how much is that in bitcoins? :)  baaaa.
>
>   bitcoins.  they're mathematically and inviolately hard-limited.
> anyone who understands currencies (the need for gold standards and
> such) like you do should love bitcoin.  what many people don't realise
> is that it is impossible to do "high frequency trading" on bitcoin
> markets, because of the propagation delay inherent in the peer-to-peer
> network on digital signing of bitcoins.  i can't remember if it's half
> an hour or 1 hour but it makes no odds: bitcoin is fundamentally
> immune to the instability effects caused by high-frequency trading
> that other currencies and commodities are susceptible to.

Actually, I don't think low latency trading is the problem at all. All
that does is provide extra liquidity in the markets. I haven't seen any
evidence that it in any way increases volatility.

And I'm still not entirely convinced about the whole bitcoin model - it
just doesn't have enough credibility yet in my mind. Especially since
the only practical backer of it that ensures it has some tangible value
is the exchange that regularly gets hacked with perps getting away with
tens of thousands of $currency worth of bitcoins each time.

But this is getting waaaaaaay OT...

Gordan