[Arm-netbook] Good netbook based on Cortex-A9

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Jul 30 20:25:37 BST 2012

On 07/30/2012 05:29 PM, lkcl luke wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Alejandro Mery<amery at geeks.cl>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry, I haven't really kept track of part numbers, over and above what
>>> I wrote up in the relevant articles which I linked previously.
>>
>> I think the goal of luke's question is to find a pair of compatible
>>> =720p and>=1080p panels so we can have to models of the same eoma68
>> laptop
>
>   ideally, yes.  although it is really up to you guys: what do *you*
> want to see in a laptop?  the I/O Board can be made reasonably
> flexible, if the right matching cases are found and enough flying
> leads put on it, it might be possible to use the same I/O Board for 2
> different laptops, especially if they have a CD-ROM hole and that's
> used as the EOMA-68 CPU Card slot as well as having several of the
> connectors on it (just ignoring all other holes).
>
>   also as previously mentioned it should not be hard to do an LCD
> Daughter Board, with an FPC over to it with about 32 pins or so:
> that'd be enough to transfer the RGB/TTL signals, some power and a PWM
> signal (for backlight control).  the daughter board in the 1080p case
> could have a dual LVDS IC on it, and for the 720p a single LVDS IC.
>
>   i'd really like the single LVDS IC version to cover at least two 10in
> LCD panels - 1024x600 *shudder*, 1200x720, maybe 1388x768 - but we
> need to find matching parts that all have the same connector and the
> same LCD Backlight design and voltages.

The problem is that while 1024 and 1280 panels are physically the same
size, the only 1366 panel isn't. I'd pretty much ignore the 1366
possibility alltogether. There is no choice of panels, and if you make
the chassis fit it, it won't fit the other panels properly.

The problem is also lack of distinction. Many competing products have
1024 or 1280 panels. Only one has 1920x1200, and that's, as mentioned,
16:10, so you're stuck with a chice of 1 again because hardly anyone
makes 10" 16:10 panels. But if you're going to make 1920x1200 laptops,
why bother with a lower res option? People will be buying it for the
high res screen. For 1280 there are already better options than the A10,
including the AC100 and the Genesi.

Gordan