[Arm-netbook] Good netbook based on Cortex-A9

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 19:52:32 BST 2012

ok, an interesting development...

we have a client whom we're negotiating with, to create an
EOMA-68-compliant I/O Board that will take a range of "LCD Daughter
Boards".  7in for direct RGB-TTL, 10in for single-channel LVDS, and
15in for dual-channel LVDS [where you think i got the idea of the LCD
daughter board from? :) ]

this project is for Industrial purposes, so rather than an A10, an
iMX535 has been chosen.  this would bring the number of available
EOMA-68 CPU Cards up to 2, very very quickly.  the development of the
iMX535 EOMA-68 CPU Card, and also the I/O Board and 3 LCD Daughter
Boards will all be paid-for by the client.

originally, the project was to be for a mains-operated touchscreen
Panel PC.  now it turns out that the client *may* have a need for a
battery-operated system, which would be a really nice coincidence and
also very good news for the project and for people here who would like
laptops.

so, uhh... yeah.  we could well end up with all the bits so that
people could pretty much literally build their own customised laptops
with a screwdriver, pair of pliers and a soldering iron.  which would
be utterly wild.

now.  my only concern, for the client, is this: should i recommend the
use of hard-wired components, or should i recommend that STM32F
approach, as it would knock about $5-7 off the PCB's price but would
need quite a bit of porting e.g. of OpenEC2.

is there anyone who would like to help with that?  it *may* be
possible to get it done as a paid-for project, but bear in mind that
the client is only going to be ordering 4,000 units per year, if the
$5 (or so) saved is then not actually saved because the software for
the STM32F is too costly.... :)

thoughts anyone?