[Arm-netbook] Good netbook based on Cortex-A9

Alejandro Mery amery at geeks.cl
Mon Jul 30 12:59:27 BST 2012

On 30 July 2012 13:41, lkcl luke <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Alejandro Mery <amery at geeks.cl> wrote:
>
>> as the idea of crowdfunding the card has been rejected [1]
>
>  only kickstarter!
>
>> and 14" is
>> kind of the worst laptop screen ever, can we have a crowdfunded [2]
>> variant (or variants) of that eoma68 laptop for people who wants a
>> *good* eoma68 laptop regardless what that "laaaarge company" plans to
>> sell in .cn?
>
>  ok.  right.  let's look at this seriously.  i've used rockethub
> before: their advice is extremely good.  critical to the success is to
> have a "pre-campaign" - a group of people who are prepared to:
>
>  a) put up even a small amount of money, straight away i.e. on the
> same day as launch.  this is *important*.  it says "this project isn't
> a fly-by-night".  like any good party, nobody wants to be the first to
> venture into the "empty space".
>
>  b) constantly and i mean constantly talk on all the social networks
> and other suitable locations and forums, in order to get past the
> "overload / inertia" barrier.
>
>  rockethub recommends that this initial seed group be at least 15
> people, made up of friends and family.  where i went wrong with the
> previous rockethub project was i made the mistake of assuming that my
> family would actually help out, and i don't *have* 15 friends, so most
> of the 30-day campaign was spent finding people just to get started:
> it was of course too late.
>
>  so.
>
>  if we can get at least 15 people who are prepared to commit to a)
> putting in even a small amount straight away (even if it's $15) just
> to get the numbers off the ground b) push at least one message at
> least once a day an announcement on at least one forum, mailing list
> or social network - then i'll go ahead and start a project.
>
>  but before doing that, we need to define what people would be
> prepared to fund!  we have on one extreme end, gordan who loves 15in
> 1920x1080 laptops, and on the other extreme we have the 10in
> form-factor with *shudder* 1024x600 LCDs.  i think we have enough
> sense, collectively, to appreciate that skimping on the screen is bad?
> thus a minimum can be set of 1280x768.
>
>  i'd be inclined to go for adapting a straightforward preexisting 12in
> x86 "no-brand" laptop.  12in with a 1280x768 (or 1280x800) LCD is the
> right sort of size.  keep the battery the same, so that it can still
> be bought off-the-shelf.  still make it possible to take a 2.5in SATA
> drive.
>
>  i'll revitalise the gpx32 (openpandora) thread, as well - there were
> lots of people interested on there.
>
>  it'll have to be made clear that the project *does not* include the
> cost of development of the A10 EOMA-68 CPU Card: that's already being
> taken care of.
>
>  btw, wojchiek: later on, you can always get a Cortex A9 EOMA-68 CPU
> card and upgrade.

count me in as one of the 15 for that 12in eoma68 laptop, but let's
get this thing moving. please don't forget about the keyboard and case
quality too... we (programmers) tend to be pretty extreme with them
;-) and the point of eoma68 is to be able to keep the same laptop for
a loong time so it needs to be solid.