[Arm-netbook] A new MK802 failing to boot from SD

Roman Mamedov rm at romanrm.ru
Sun Jul 29 12:35:52 BST 2012

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:04:26 +0600
Roman Mamedov <rm at romanrm.ru> wrote:

> I can't get it to boot a custom kernel anymore (after like 15 attempts,
> rebuilding kernels both with and without IGNORE_ATAG_MEM and various mem=
> settings).
> Maybe someone can point me to a howto about opening the MK802 and connecting
> the serial console?

I've connected the serial console using
http://linux-sunxi.org/File:Mk802_uart.jpg

I now have it successfully booting and working stable with my 3.0.38 kernel
residing in the internal flash, with hardcoded kernel command line of
"console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 init=/init loglevel=8
rootfstype=ext4 rootwait mem=448M at 0x40000000" and linux.ini pointing at this
kernel so it's booted directly.

With this command-line only 448MB of RAM is accessible, but an attempt to also
add "mem=512M at 0x60000000" results in boot-up indication of 960MB of RAM, but
an attempt to access large amount of memory (e.g. with 'memtester') locks up
the machine.

SD-based boot-up problem is still not solved; and there it looks like the
U-Boot SPL (out of perhaps 4 different versions that I've tried) doesn't detect
the MMC device, and can't load the U-Boot. See my other posts for the exact SPL
error messages.

--
With respect,
Roman