[Arm-netbook] Netgear ReadyNAS

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Wed Jul 25 22:57:23 BST 2012

mån 2012-07-23 klockan 15:27 +0100 skrev Gordan Bobic:

> 1) RAM on a DDR SO-DIMM (IIRC the SoC used can handle up to 3GB of RAM,
> but that's a bit academic since DDR SO-DIMM modules only seem to be
> available up to 1GB).

Is it? To my best knowledge the memory in Netgear DUO v2 and even NV+ V2
is soldered on like in most other ARM devices.

In the original Netgear DUO (LEON SPARC based) the memory is on a SODIMM
and easily upgraded without even voiding warranty. But that platform is
a dead end not worth any time spent on today.

> Anybody tried one of these? How hard is it to hack one of these together
> to run a custom kernel, boot off the SATA disks (or better, a USB
> stick), etc?

I have not looked very closely at V2, mainly because 256MB do not cut it
for my needs. Also got a bit pissed off at their earlier generation
where several core drivers (LAN, SATA, some more) are binary-only plus
that they for some reason encrypt the firmware and only accept loading
encrypted firmware. Thankfully it was just 3DES encryption so easily
reversed thanks to keys on the device.

Regards
Henrik